Sunday, December 21, 2014

President Obama: I Will Do 'Everything I Can' To Close Guantanamo



Obama To Do 'Everything I Can' To Close Gitmo -- CNN

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama says he plans to push to close the Guantanamo Bay detention facility during his final two years in office -- potentially fulfilling a major campaign promise that he hasn't yet accomplished.

"I'm going to be doing everything I can to close it," Obama said in an interview with CNN's Candy Crowley that aired Sunday on "State of the Union."

"It is something that continues to inspire jihadists and extremists around the world, the fact that these folks are being held," Obama said. "It is contrary to our values."

The President's comments follow a flurry of executive action at the start of what he called his "fourth quarter" in the Oval Office -- after Republicans walloped Democrats in November's midterm elections, taking control of both houses of Congress.

Read more ....

More News On President Obama Vowing To Close Guantanamo Prison

Obama vows 'do everything I can' to close Guantanamo: CNN interview -- Reuters
Obama: I Will Do 'Everything I Can' to Close Guantanamo -- VOA
Obama Plans More Gitmo Transfers in Coming Weeks -- WSJ
Obama pledges to shut down Guantanamo Bay — again -- New York Daily News

No comments: